Sunday, May 4, 2008

TWISTED CHARM – CINEMA (BECAUSE MUSIC)


TWISTED CHARM – CINEMA (BECAUSE MUSIC)

Making weird sounds and noises over guitar music appears to be very in vogue at the moment, the kind of bonkers trick and tactic to be (that is) employed when one wants to sound as if from the cool part of the eighties.

I have a lot of time for Twisted Charm, I genuinely thought “London Scene” was very inventive, well observed and astute; easily one of my favourite songs of the year when it was released. Such strong beginnings do not appear to be maintaining although an opening line of “I’m drowning in cynicism” suggests all has not been lost.

With what is in essence a song about being asked to be taken to the pictures, I swear the drawing of the cinema on the cover of the single that of the Coronet in Notting Hill although I am sure time will prove me wrong but for now let me dream a dream coupled with hoping for another strong song soon in which saxophones return from this most potential of propositions.

A quick flip to the b-side and the strongly titled “Whore” is more in the range of what I was hoping for, a nasty sounding lo-fi snarl with saxophone blasts and a guitar line that makes me question whether I am playing the single at the correct speed on my stereo. With its snappy tone and intentions for me this would have made a much better and more appropriate single.

Be my whore.

Thesaurus moment: please.

Twisted Charm
Because Music

No comments:

Post a Comment