Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Let's talk women.





It's tough being a woman in this world of ours. First, the government is checking if women are virgins in Egypt. WTF? How does that work, exactly? Do they literally assault these women and poke around in areas that they have no business being in to see if (sorry folks, hide the kids, I have to get a little graphic here) the hymen is in tact? Virgin checks. And to think, we get pissed off when the po po has seat belt checks in this country.

Then there are those wonderful folks in the Ukraine. All they did was stone a beauty contestant to death because they thought that she was violating Sharia law.

"One of the suspects, identified as 16-year-old Bihal Gaziev, told authorities that he had no regrets about the stoning because the dark-haired Koren “violated the laws of Sharia.”

The teen’s battered body was found buried in the forest near her village in the Crimea section of the Ukraine. She had disappeared a week earlier. " [Source]



Stop the world, I want to get off.



Those were stories of women going through real suffering. But then there is my home girl, Naomi Campbell, girlfriend is crying racism over her image being used for a chocolate promotion.




"Cadbury is facing the prospect of a black consumer boycott after it compared Naomi Campbell to a chocolate bar in a new advertising campaign.

The supermodel - hardly known for taking things in her stride - is incensed that Cadbury used her name in the strap line to promote its new chocolate bar called Bliss, accusing the company of racism. The ad says: "Move over Naomi - there is a new diva in town."

Yesterday Campbell revealed she is considering "every option available" after Cadbury, owned by the US giant Kraft, refused to pull the ad campaign, which ran in newspapers last week: "I am shocked. It's upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me, but for all black women and black people. I do not find any humour in this. It is insulting and hurtful.."
[Source]



Girlfriend you need to stop it! WTF is "insulting and hurtful" about being compared to chocolate? I am sorry, but the last time I checked chocolate was a good thing. And the darker the chocolate the better it is for you. Hell Mrs. Field and her girlfriends call men they find attractive "chocolate bunnies' (or something like that) for crying out loud. Sorry, I am not exactly seeing the racism here. Maybe they should be breaking you off if they used your image or your name without your permission, but that's a whole different issue.



Naomi, I won't be boycotting Cadbury, and I suspect that I am not alone.



Finally, I hear that Sarah was in my city earlier today. (No truth to the rumor that she was visting the African American Museum.) A little birdie tells me that she was a total Diva and that she was playing boss hog to everyone within earshot.



Still, I hear she had a lot of fans all over the place. Folks were screaming her name wherever she went. Girlfriend is a rock star. Palin v. Obama. We can only wish.










No comments:

Post a Comment