Thursday, July 21, 2011

A couple of days in D.C.

So anyway, I am here in D.C. for this broadband conference and I am surrounded by all these powerful and influential people. The conference organizer is a very smart and hard working guy named Dvid Honig (Georgetown Law the whole nine), and he has done a wonderful job of bringing together everyone with power, money, and influence in the Internet and telecom industry. David is very committed to making sure that poor people and people of color have high speed Internet and broadband access. Right now I am listening to some dude named Aneesh Chopra who is O's director of technology in his Office of Science & Technology Policy....or some such thing.

Anywhoo, now I know why O fails to connect with us folks out here in the real world on so many levels. He has all these smart people around him with all these really great ideas, but they don't really know how to put the nuts and bolts together. They seem to lack street awareness and know how. Just my two cents.

I sat next to Marc Morial at lunch. He seems like cool people, and he gave a really nice speech. Just to make conversation I told him that I would like to interview him for the blog sometime, and he said cool. I felt bad about lying to fam because I really don't interview people. But it's all good. He will forget about his promise by the end of the day. He has much more important things on his plate right about now. I wonder if either him or Ben Jealous will ask O why he is meeting with my brown brothers and sisters and not us black folks?(You Negroes can be so Jealous.-no pun intended-)

I am listening to some brother who sounds like the dude who told Axel Foley that he is not falling for the "banana in the tail pipe" trick in Beverly Hills Cop, and he is going on and on about opportunities for entrepreneurship and innovation in the broadband industry: Blah blah blah blah....I know that there is a point to all of this, but I just haven't figured it out yet. I mean unless your name is AT&T, Verizon or Comcast, I am not sure how you can really be a player here in Washington. Uncle Rupert sure figured it all out. But when you have loot like he does you can start on third base.

Still, it's nice to see that Honig is bringing in all the big boys to make them accountable. Not to mention the fact that he is keeping the spotlight on the FCC so that they don't renege on all the promises that they made to us about minority inclusion when it comes to media ownership.

Anyway, I want to own a radio station. The call letters would be WNOJIG. So let me look around while I am here; I just need some investors to get that bad boy off the ground. "Hello sir, I was noticing your name tag, The Field Negro. Hmmm very provocative. We might have talk about that."

OK, maybe I have to lose the name tag, first.      



               

No comments:

Post a Comment