Friday, April 27, 2012

Cool??

The latest Karl Rove Super Pac ad. (Why is this guy still around?) attacks his Oness for being too cool. In the ad. O is portrayed as an empty headed celebrity who got elected because of the cool factor. Not!

If you ask me this is just more dog whistles from the old white man crowd. (Barry White? Are you serious?)      

So anyway, I was thinking about this whole cool thing. I mean it is all so subjective. Who determines what truly makes a person cool?

While contemplating that question, I made a list of some people (living and dead) who made my cool list. Hey, I am Jamaican, I know about this stuff.

They are not in any particular order, and I am not going to explain why each person qualifies. O isn't on the list, because in spite of what wingnuts would have you believe, a politician just can't be cool.  

Here goes-

1.  Tony Bennett

2.  James Baldwin

3.  Maya Angelou

4.  Miles Davis

5.  Willie Nelson

6.  Nelson Mandela

7.  Angela Davis

8.  Bunny Wailer

9.  Robert De Niro

10. Denzel Washington

11. Andy Warhol

12. Grace Kelly

13. Sean Connery

14. Curt Flood

15. John Coltrane

16. Condy Rice

17. David Beckham

18. Che Guevera

19. Gregory Isaacs

20. Muhammad Ali

21. Christopher Walken

22. The Edge

23. Ringo Starr

24. Toni Morrison

25. Bruce Lee

26. Steve McQueen

27. Frank Sinatra

28. Paul Newman

29. MLK

30. Johnny Cash

31. Althea Gibson

32. Al Kaline

33. Bob Gibson

34. Judy Mowatt

35. Beverly Johnson

36. Oscar Wilde

37. Jimmy Cliff

38. Jesus Christ

39. Hideo Kojima

40. Marvin Gaye

41.  Mos Def

42. Lena Horne

43. Colette

44. Tom Wolfe

45. Cary Grant

46. Arthur Ashe

47. Andre Benjamin

48. Malcolm X

49. Rene Lacoste

50. My parents.

Honorable mention:

Every single person out there working to make the world better is cool in my book.


No comments:

Post a Comment