Wednesday, April 25, 2012

SB-1070

Arizona State Trooper: Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?
Field Negro: Yes officer, it seems that I was speeding.
AST: You have Pennsylvania license plates, what are you doing in Arizona?
FN: I was just passing through, officer. I am on my way to California to see a former child star named Lark Voorhies.
AST: Is that reggae music I hear coming from your vehicle?
FN: Yes officer, I am playing Catch A Fire by Bob Marley & The Wailers.
AST: You haven't been smoking that Marley smoke have you?
FN:  No officer, I never touch the stuff.
AST: Wait, do I detect a slight accent?
FN: Yes.
AST: Are you from Jamaica?
FN: Yes officer, I am.
AST: Are you lawfully present in the United States?
FN:  Yes.
AST: May I see some proof of your legal status in the United States?
FN: Yes officer, I might have something right here in my wallet.....oh wait, my wallet is in my overnight bag, and the bag is in the trunk.
AST: Sir, I am going to have to detain you until we can confirm that you are in this country legally. It's the law here in our state.
FN: But officer, my wallet is in the trunk of my car, if you will....
AST: Sir,just don't make any sudden moves.
FN:  But officer...
AST: Sir, slowly step out of the car and keep your hands where I can see them.
FN:  Officer, this is all a big misunderstanding...
AST: Shut up and put your hands behind your back! You are under arrest.

SB1070 sounds like a bad sci- fi movie, but it's all the rage in Washington as the supremes try to decide if it's cool to profile folks under the pretext of keeping law abiding Americans safe.

I see that my girl Jan Brewer took the trip to Washington. I bet she won't be welcome on Pennsylvania Avenue. The last time she met the president she had her fingers in his grill.

Obviously she is a true believer when it comes to her state's new immigration law.

She is not alone:

"I think that 1070 pretty much takes the handcuffs off of police officers, so that they can do the job that they have already been prescribed by the federal government to do" said Montenegro.

The law passed by a comfortable margin in both houses of the Republican-controlled legislature.

"Here in Arizona we have a lot of problems when it comes to open borders, when it comes to not enforcing federal immigration laws, which causes a lot of chaos in our streets" said Montenegro.

He said people have already left the state as a result of the law and crime is down.

But by how much and why is a matter of debate. Crime in Arizona was trending to a 30-year low before the law was signed by the Governor.

Thousands of illegal immigrants have left the state, according to at least two population studies, but there's no reliable count and it's unknown whether the exit was caused by the law or a sluggish economy."[Source]

The supremes won't have a decision until June.

That gives Flipper two full months to gives us his opinion about the law. Knowing what I know about Flipper; I suspect that he will take about three or four different positions by then.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment