Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rest In Peace, Joe!

On this date in 2002, Joe Strummer died suddenly in his home at Broomfield in Somerset, the victim of an undiagnosed congenital heart defect.




Wikipedia: Joe Strummer

Official Website: strummerville.com

"Strummerville is a registered charity that aims to create new opportunities for aspiring musicians.

Set up by the friends and family of Joe Strummer in the year after his death, the charity seeks to reflect Joe's unique contribution to the music world by offering support, resources and performance opportunities to artists who would not normally have access to them."


Video: The Clash - What's My Name and Garageland - live - 1977 - youtube

Blogloads: Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros discography - yovengodelhoyo.blogspot.com

Blogload: The Clash - Two live albums - bloodyrevolutions.blogspot.com

FYI: "The Clash: Live At Shea Stadium" is a live album by The Clash. The album is a recording of the band's second night opening for The Who at Shea Stadium, October 13, 1982, at a concert produced by Kosmo Vinyl.

I was at the show on the first night. I remember being dressed in camouflage so the Who fans knew which band I was there to see. I also remember Roger Daltry throwing a frisbee off the stage and it went over my head and somebody behind me caught it. David Johansen Band opened up early when the stadium was pretty empty. I was sitting in the nose-bleed seats. Then they opened the gates on the field and everyone, including me, was hopping over seats and scaling the walls to get onto the field. I ended up about 40 feet from the stage. Booze and joints were being passed around the crowd for the whole show. Ah, the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment