Thursday, August 25, 2011

He doesn't like his slav...workers to have tattoos and piercings.

"Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt. “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose. “He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’ He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”

Interjected the host: “You sound like a Lombardi.”
Said Richardson, “No, I just sound reasonable to me.”

I must confess, listening to that soundbite sounds a lot worse than it reads.
You have to actually hear it.

I am disappointed in Charlie Rose. "You sound like Lombardi"? Nope, he sounded like someone else: A fifties era small town southern sheriff.

But Cam had to jig. He wanted that 24 million pay day. And for that kind of money Cam would have probably told the Charlotte Panthers owner that he would play a banjo for him and sing "I Wish I Was in Dixie" before he went to bed every night. Then I heard Stephen A. Smith co-signing with that b*&& s&^t today on the radio here in  Philly. "Bless Jerry Richardson's heart" he said, "somebody had to say it". Say what, Negro? Let's try this again: Cam Newton is a football player! I could care less if he wore a a bone in his nose and drove to the stadium in a pink tutu before every game. But this is A-merry-ca, we are so concerned with our image and nothing else. 

Now I understand that it's Jerry Richardson's team, and that he is the one writing the check. He has a right to demand certain things from his employees, that's a given. But would Jerry give the same lecture to Andrew Luck or Tim Tebow? I doubt it. And if Jerry has a no tattoo or piercing policy, why doesn't he demand it of all of his Panthers? -He just signed Jeremy Shockey for crying out loud! -

Memo to Jerry, Cam won't be working on Wall Street or Madison Avenue, he will be slinging a football in the NFL. I think it's fair to say that over 50% of the players in the NFL have ink, so what's the problem? Jerry should have been more worried about the laptops in the Panthers front office than how Cam was dressed or looked. (OK, cheap shot) Maybe that's why his Panthers stink so much and they only won two games last year.

Counter argument: "Field it's the man's team, football is a billion dollar industry, the man wants to make sure he is investing his money wisely on the number one pick in the draft. Doesn't your employer have the right to tell you how to dress and carry yourself in the work place? Besides, the team is in the bible belt, the owner has to careful not to alienate his fan base."

Well yes, it's his team and the best way to keep his fan base happy is to win.
I wear suits to work every day because I work in court rooms, Cam Newton wears a football uniform because he works on a football field. Big difference.

The best way for Jerry Richardson to invest his money wisely is to pick the best player available that can help his sorry team win. How Cam Newton looks or chooses to carry himself won't help the Carolina Panthers win one single game.

Ask all those folks from the Main Line who used to come and sit court side to watch AI break off fools if they cared about all his tats and his cornrows. They didn't. They wanted to be entertained and see the Sixers win games.

"Did you get crazy after the draft and go out and get any tattoos or piercings? Do I have to check you for anything?"

"No sir,"

I am a good slave worker.




  



No comments:

Post a Comment