Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"All Shook Up."

"You better get your behind to church this weekend!" That was a co-worker yelling at the field as she ran down the stairs and away from her shaking office. She was just two steps ahead of me, because my black ass was running as well.

I don't do earthquakes very well. Give me thirty inches of snow, and a category two hurricane, but keep your damn earthquake. They are too sneaky, too unpredictable, and we don't know enough about them. (Kind of like tea party republicans.) One of the joys of living on the East Coast is that we don't have to deal with this particular type of natural disaster. The South has their hurricanes, The Midwest their tornadoes, and The West Coast has their earthquakes. Here on the East Coast we have enough to worry about with man made s*&^, so the good lord, in her infinite wisdom, didn't give us any natural disasters to worry about. That is, of course, until today. (Is it something we said?)

Shaking buildings is not a good look for Center City, Philadelphia. Mrs. Field, bless her soul, stayed home today, so she didn't have to endure the rocking of that high rise monstrosity she works in known as an office building.

So we are all milling about outside,--- sadly oblivious to the fact that if the buildings started shaking again and eventually start falling down, they would fall right on top of us--- And we are telling each other war stories and recounting where we were when the shaking started. Everyone is laughing about it now, but it could have been so much different.

I was laughing as well. On the outside. Inside I was thinking, WTF? This ride that we are on is kind of shaky. At any moment the wheels could come off. I mean if the natural disasters don't get us the aliens will. I know that we all have to check out at some point, but I personally would love to ride it out until the engine can't go anymore. To stay with my car analogy: I don't want to be driving down the highway and get broadsided by a Mack truck. That earthquake today could have been a damn Mack truck. 

Yep, I think I am going to start working on the last part of my "bucket list" just a little bit sooner.

Finally, enough about earthquakes. Let's talk about my favorite subject: Wingnuts.

"No, I don't ... He's a very bright man. But think about his life. And think about what he was exposed to and what he saw in America. He's only relating what his experience in life was ... His intent isn't to destroy. It's to create dependency because it worked so well for him. I don't say that critically. Look at people for what they are. Don't assume ulterior motives. I don't think he doesn't love our country. I think he does." [Source]

That was republican senator, Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, explaining how he feels about his O ness.

You see folks, it's like this; if you are a black man in A-merry-ca, dependency is what you rely on because it works for you. Forget the fact that this particular black man went to Ivy League schools and studied law at one of A-merry-ca's finer institutions. He is a black man, so the hard work to do these things doesn't fit into the narrative of some people.

Personally, I thought that wingnuts would embrace the hard work that Obama put in to get where he is. But I guess I was wrong.

Sadly, it looks like no matter how hard you Negroes work or how successful you become, (You can't get more successful than the president of these divided states) you will still be looked upon by the wingnut as someone who "dependency worked so well" for.  

I swear, you just can't win with the wingnut.  



     

No comments:

Post a Comment