Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The end of one road

Last Day!!!

 

Jam: So, today was our last day at work…. After a few very eventful months, our time as watirons in CT has come to an end. And I have to say that it was just in time!   Don't get me wrong, I met some awesome people during our stay here and will miss them dearly.  But I will not miss the work, having people treat you as a third grade person, or our darling GM…

 

Jam:  speaking of which, I had a table order a bottle of red which I proceeded to take to them. This was all fine and dandy, until I broke the cork.   Now the way I saw it, I had two options: 1) continue to attempt o open the wine, risking possible cork in wine (not a good idea, or so I am told J ) or 2) take the wine back to the bar and get some help.   As you properly (Jar: I think the word you were looking for is probably - this is what happens when you post after a farewell!!) guessed I went with the second choice.

 

Jam: on the way back from the bar my darling GM sees me, and is not impressed. I get called over, and could just sense he was ready to lay into me. After all, how could I take an already open bottle to a table?   Not sure if it was as sense of bravery (what was he really going to do?) or that I was simply past caring, but I responded swiftly and all I got in return was a wry smile.   Wish I had felt like that earlier, as in a few months earlier – would have saved much frustration! 

 

Jam: anyway, so now we are finished.  After months of putting up with snotty customers, difficult managers and frantic kitchen staff.   There has been much drama along the way, and I am now convinced that this lifestyle is not for me. I had fun, but my Colgate smile has gotten tired, and now it is my turn to be served for a change!

 

Jar: I am so glad its over, I think I could run a restaurant, or manage one but to ever waiter again, where the immediate assumption is you one level below faeces by many customers was really not gelling with me!!!

 

I am glad I did it, it was always my dream to take time off after studying and to go waiter in cape town while enjoying a south African summer. It was good fun, and not quite what I envisioned, but then not everything is. I managed to save just over R10 000 in 4 months, without a cent from the folks, whilst buying these raybans for jam and these for myself, and a nifty little canon digital camera….

 

The lessons learnt from what we did will hopefully help in the next few years, and if I ever feel depressed with whichever field I eventually land up in, I can always remember what it felt like to be a waitron….

 

That being said, the money was awesome, good mates have been made and it was a fantastic learning curve….

No comments:

Post a Comment