Sunday, October 5, 2008

ATTIC LIGHTS – WENDY (UNIVERSAL/ISLAND)


ATTIC LIGHTS – WENDY (UNIVERSAL/ISLAND)

Complete with remix by The Vaselines on the b-side, here lies something of a subdued glam song echoing seventies fodder that would have been served for and purchased by my parents. It’s all bombastic in a budget way as every tradition instrument is thrown into the mix resulting in a kind of North of the border “All The Young Dudes” in not the most convincing of appointments.

Verging on some kind of misgiving euphoria the best thing about this record is how the verses remind me of The Auteurs and the choruses echo Teenage Fanclub at their most hook heavy and not necessary most subtle.

The involvement of Kurt’s favourites The Vaselines serves to leave me scratching my head as the additional of Moe Tucker-esqe drums and more intricate guitar parts used sparingly only causes me to wonder why they took this band under their wing.

I once new a girl in the year below at school called “Wendy.” She allowed us to use her self given nickname of “Wee” fully aware of the connotations that came with. She was cool but her chubby friend always seemed to be more keen when really it was her greasy other friend that caused most interest for me. Eventually she wound up with a ginger lad.

As to just who this release is aimed is something of a mystery to me. Scottish peoples no doubt.

Thesaurus moment: border.

Attic Lights
Universal
Island Records

No comments:

Post a Comment