Monday, January 23, 2012

Oh the possibilities

I had a friend in town last week and she had one goal while in Bangkok: have clothes custom-made. There's plenty of tailors and seamstresses in this city, offering a wide range of price points. There's the quality stuff, and well there's the guy promising he'll make you two suits, two shirts and a tie in 24 hours for 199$ US. Need I say you get what you pay for?

A nice men's tailor recommended a women's seamstress studio and that's where we went. We were greeted with smiling women with open arms offering us Coca-Cola. We stayed. Sat down. And the ladies made our heads spin by showing us 100,000 magazines, catalogs, silk samples, linen samples, wool samples (the sight of wool in humid Bangkok nearly made me faint). Confused, we skimmed the images and narrowed it down to blouses and dresses. Oh and blazers. Yes, that's it for now. Khob Khun Kha (Thank you). It took next to no time, the women answered all of our queries with "Yes, can!". Endless possibilities. And the results were beautiful. It got me thinking. What would I get made then?

A visit to Style.com led me to the Pre-Fall 2012 presentations. And I hopped over to Thakoon, to keep it somewhat local. Thakoon Panichgul has been a household name in the fashion world for a few years now. He's Thai and made it big: he now presents his critically-acclaimed collections at New York Fashion Week. I absolutely adore his aesthetic and had to share my current crush on his Pre-Fall 2012. 

Inspirations to take note: corn yellow, A-line skirts, slightly dipped hems, two-toned blazers. And the perfect wool pants, for a post-Bangkok future. Obviously.




Photos via Style.com, Edited by Dee & Duke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment