Thursday, November 18, 2010

North Carolina Instructor Reviews the Maelstrom Vital 166

Here's more news on Maelstrom sea kayaks provided by a paddler and sea kayak instructor who recently headed out to coastal waters to give the Maelstrom Vital 166 a try.

Fern, from www.WannaKayak.com in North Carolina, U.S.A., contacted me a while back with some questions about the Maelstrom Vital 166. Several paddlers have, as they have been looking for more news and reviews from other paddlers on the new Maelstrom sea kayaks, the Maelstrom Vital 166 and the Vaag.

Also my BaffinPaddler Web stats show I'm getting the most Web traffic overall for my news on Maelstrom kayaks and Greenland paddling posts. Web stats are so great! So share your news. People are looking for it.

I fell in love with my Maelstrom Vital 166 on the first try and have been posting some of my own reviews and following the news and reviews from other, more experienced paddlers like Alex Matthews. Of course, no love story is perfect forever. But it's a great feeling when it hits! I was anxious to hear back from Fern after her recent trial and I asked if she would send us back news of her test paddle. Here it is.

Maelstrom Vital 166 Review, November 2010

I went to Sea Kayak Carolina www.seakayakcarolina.com in Charleston, South Carolina, United States to demo the much talked about Vital 166. The kayak is 16'6" with a 21" beam. First, I took the kayak out to the protected water to play with the edging, turning and rolling (it was quite good!). The next day, I took it in the open water and surf and it surpassed my expectations.

I found no inherent issues with the hatches - all components were secure. The kayak surfed beautifully. It held to expectations of consistent turning ability and was responsive whenever demanded.

About me - I've been kayaking for about 15 years, and am an ACA certified Instructor. I've owned a Valley Anas Acuta and P&H Sirius S. I presently own an NDK Pilgrim. I also have a Riot playboat for surfing - I didn't think I was looking for another kayak - but, the Vital changed my mind.

As a matter of fact, I fell in love and put in an order for one... perhaps it will arrive in time for my birthday. If you see a paddler in a kayak that looks like an Orca, it will be me.

This kayak proves that a kayak does not have to be short (14-15') to be suited to the smaller paddler, and provide outstanding all-around performance. Bravo Maelstrom! I will be posting an article with more detail on our website in the coming months - check in with us at www.WannaKayak.com soon.

Thanks for sharing your review Fern

And hey, Happy Birthday and congrats on your new boat! I'm so happy for you! It's so great to find a boat you love.

Now for the scoop on the Boreal Baffin for next year

Boréal Design, who also manufactures the Maelstrom sea kayaks, will be bringing out the Boréal Baffin Series next paddling season in composite (new) as well as the plastic but it will be available in three different sizes following along in the same vein as they have for the Boréal Epsilon. This is great news! I'll be testing them out next spring and posting more here on that. I'll be interested to learn what others think about the "new Baffin family" too.

I already own one of the original one-size must fit all versions of the plastic Baffin. I can't wait to try the composite model and try out the different sizes. My Baffin is a little big in the cockpit for me, and too tight for some larger paddlers.

Happy Paddling and finding your perfect paddle mate(s)!
The BaffinPaddler

No comments:

Post a Comment