Thursday, April 22, 2010

Malaysian Media

Well, as you all know, I'm an air headed bimbo and many of us airheads study Mass Communications. So, I'm the kind of person who would constantly read up on the latest news, being a lifestyle piece from yahoo.com or a local news from The Star. I can say that whenever I read The Star Newspaper (Malaysian Newspaper), I will always sigh and wonder why is that the Media in Malaysia is a lapdog to the government instead of being a watchdog for democracy.

It irritates me on how the "biggest" & most "profitable" news paper company in Malaysia report such biased news to the general public. I was reading a couple of articles regarding politics and man there is such Hegemony is all of them (Hegemony = When an Idea is being fed to a less Dominant Group by a more Dominant Group, Eg Government feeding General Public). The Government feeds the People Biased News that basically carries the idea that "The Government is Good, The Opposing Party or anything that is against the Government is Bad" and people in general will follow the idea.

It is of course unfair to state that most people believe what they are being fed, but Newspaper editors, designers and publishers know how to influence the readers with creative headlines, I know, I'm a communications student. And generally people living in the city or seek a second source for news don't really believe in The Star Newspaper, I only buy it for the advertorials. But knowing that biased news are being released by the government through media channels like Television, Radio and Print are being fed to people who generally don't much idea about the whole situation.

Thanks to Facebook and other online networking sites, the government suffered major backlash during the last elections, however, the Government is finding ways to challenge the new networking sites that has become a strong tool by the Opposing parties. I'm not saying I'm Pro PKR or PAS, I'm just saying that we have the freedom to know, which devil to vote for, and now there's one strong devil that is giving biased news on the other devils and covering up it's own misdeeds. Hopefully in the future, things will start to change.

*The Star Newspaper is a government owned newspaper, it is owned my MCA (Malaysian Chinese Association) which is a sub division of the ruling Malaysian Party UMNO. That is why we receive biased government news from them. Check out www.thestar.com.my to know more about their bad news reports.

xoxo

Jeffrey James

No comments:

Post a Comment