Sunday, January 24, 2010

Orphanage Visit

Us posing with the Hoko Cocoa staff and the kids from Jireh Home

So I passed out last night and ended up waking up at 8 in the morning because I had a charity event to attend with the other finalists as well as the organizers for the event. It was grueling because I fell asleep with my contact lenses and makeup and I left the house without washing my face. I just brushed my teeth.
Ness, Me, Amber, Diriwan Staff, Diriwan Ceo, Diriwan Vice Ceo, Joanabelle, Audrey, Nicholas and Frederick.

We drove down to Tuaran town because the orphanage is located there. I wanted to have Tuaran Mee but ended up not having any because there were meat and eggs mixed into the noodles and I was so disappointed because I watched the others much down the lovely food! I just sat there drinking pepsi and was quite moody.
Amber working her "magic"

So after breakfast we headed to Jireh home where the kids were and gave them a donation. Immediately after Amber stepped out of the car, she turned on this switch and became so bubbly and cheerful especially to the kids. I found it to be quite plastic in a way but the good kind. At least she was putting in lots of effort and she did seem genuinely interested in these kids.
Fred, Me, Audrey, Amber and Ness chatting up the kids.

It took me and Ness quite some time to warm up to the kids but it was good though. I felt that I socialized with the kids more compared to the other finalists like Nicholas, Fred and Audrey. I was even flirting with some of the little girls just to make them blush. It was nice. And apparently many of the kids here do have parents. The home is actually a place where they send the kids to school because the kids' parents are too unfortunate to do so.
Ness, Nicholas, Fred and I during the Screening of the Cocoa Documentary.

We then made our way to the Hoko Cocoa center in Kolombong and were greeted warmly by the staff there. They were nice, giving us loads of free cocoa samples and explaining to us how the cocoa is made. Sabah's Minister of Tourism was also in attendance and he was nice, talking and smiling at everyone.
The Minister of Tourism giving his speech.

They then showed a screening of the Documentary. It was quite long and was in Mandarin. The minister did get up and gave an impromptu speech and it was really in a way educational. Lunch was then served at the hall awhile later and the desserts were AWESOME! I was so famished by that time and I stuffed myself with many of the cocoa products.
Fred, Nicholas, Amber, Minister of Tourism, Joanabelle and Audrey.

The table was full so the guys and I were eating standing up. I saw the kids sitting on the floor as a group with their carer and I decided to join them. i was asking them all sorts of questions and it was quite interesting. They are so well taken cared of by the home and they seem happy. I do hope they end up doing well.
Me sitting down with the kids.

I had some rice and soup and passed on some food to the kids. The girls and the vip were sitting on the table and I became more warmed up to the kids. It was actually easy getting to know them and I do feel nice. They asked me if I was a model and I said I'm just an ordinary guy. Well, I am an ordinary guy.
Joanabelle Ng and Audrey Ho.

Gifts were given to us after lunch and there was a shoot between us and the staff and the kids. At that point I was quite drained and only thought about going back. It was a fun day though and I think I can get used to this kind of life :P
One of the girls in the home. She's tall!

xoxo

Jeffrey James

Ps. Photographs courtesy of David Chg.

No comments:

Post a Comment