Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seri Mengasih Visit

Last Tuesday, I visited The Seri Mengasih Center with some contestants for this pageant I joined. The center is located in Tanjung Aru and they specialize in educating kids with learning disabilities. I could honestly say that the trip was really eye opening and that even though these kids are mentally disabled, they look like they enjoy life more than we do, less stress and they don't complain. And kids like these doesn't deserve our pity, they deserve our encouragement.
Apparently the center trains these kids to learn about how to go through their daily lives independently. They teach them to do basic things like how to put on their clothes to how to read, write, interact and even cook and work. It's funny because we take these things for granted but when I was looking at them, they seem to be appreciating everything they learn.
I also managed to learn that they make products like cakes, paper products and even some souvenirs for tourists. I bought a few things from them, I thought that it was money well spent. I also found out that they outsource for some businesses and make products for them. They make cakes and sends them to kindergardens and primary school so that they have an income.
And in the end, when these kids finish high school, they get special training to do some jobs like cleaning, cooking, baking etc. The good thing about them is that they don't complain and are really dedicated to the work that they are doing. It's good that they get paid as much as other standard workers but for me, I feel that they should get more because they are more appreciative of what they have.
As plastic as I may sound, I really do think that I should learn from these kids. It's good that they look at life more differently than we do. It's something that i admire.

xoxo

Jeffrey James

No comments:

Post a Comment