Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Hike to the Top of Borneo

Andrew, Kath, Jan and I on the top of Borneo.

I've been planning on going up the mountain for ages, but most of my friends are too lazy to do it or they've done it before. So I was introduced to a guy who is studying in Denmark last week, he told me that he wanted to climb the mountain, a light bulb then popped up my head and I decided to go with him!
Borneo during Twilight, from the top of Borneo.

So i got to know this guy better, his name is Jan Poborak and he is a student in Copenhagen University, and he's doing his Masters Degree in Business. He's a really nice guy. So anyway, we booked our accomodation for Monday which was two days ago to climb Mount Kinabalu.
Borneo during Sunset, Taken from Laban Rata.

So fast forward a few days and it was Monday. We took a mini bus to Kinabalu Park and then paid for our package. Apparently there were some hidden charges and we were like so totally broke after paying for everything. But it didn't matter anyway, as soon as we paid we got our guide and started making our way up.
The Top of Mount Kinabalu during sunrise, hiking downhill.

So the climb to our hotel was 6 kilometers long. Apparently I heard that Mount Kinabalu has one of the most challenging mountain trail. So during the first 3 kilometers, I found it so hard, I felt like puking and my head was very light, Jan seemed fine and he was just breezing through everything. We then met an Australian Couple, Kath and Andrew.
Jan freezing to death on the highest point of Borneo.

However, I downed a can of 100 Plus and smoked a cig and the last 3km were like so smooth. Immediately I felt so energetic and started climbing like crazy. Jan however was starting to feel like shit because apparently the air was getting thinner and he was getting very dizzy. I was worried for him but oh well, I went through that during the first half of the climb.
Me, Jan, Kath and Andrew on the top of Borneo.

When we reached Laban Rata, which is our hotel, we just sat in the restaurant and chilled out. Kath and Andrew then arrived. Kath looked so much better after reaching the top because when we were climbing up, all of us looked like shit! We then started talking and getting to know each other. They were all so nice! Apparently they are traveling around South East Asia.
Me before climbing the mountain.

Anyway, the sunset view from our Hotel was fantastic! I can tell you that once I saw the sunset, the whole climbing to our hotel experience just went away. I can honestly say that the 6 kilometers of hard work paid off immediately! It was so beautiful, it felt like you're on the plane, and you're above the clouds, but actually you can see it, feel it, and enjoy it:)
Jan giving me his best "model" pose.

So we had our dinner and I was stuffing myself like crazy. Talked to the other climbers and I found out that I was the only local climber there. it was funny to know that all of the others were from another country. I didn't even meet anyone from West Malaysia. I don't really seem to understand why the locals don't really fancy climbing the mountain.
Jan and I after Dinner.

So we slept at 7pm and we were lucky to have Kath and Andrew as our room mates. It was fun but we were very tired. We just dozed off. I however kept waking up because I wasn't used to sleeping that early even though I was quite dead. I managed to wake everyone up at 1.45 in the morning. We were all zombies. But climbing up to the peak at 2.30 in the morning is so hard. It was freezing cold and it was dark and it was steep. I was freezing cold when we got to the top to the point of me not even caring about the sun rise.
Me, Andrew and Kath posing at our hotel.

Our way down was hell because I had two busted toes and my legs were hurting like crazy. All i wanted to do was to get back down to Kinabalu Park and sleep and stuff myself because I never worked out this hard in my life. However, It was such an experience that I wanna do it again soon.

Anyone willing to follow me? :)

xoxo

Jeffrey James

No comments:

Post a Comment