Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Abby (A snippet from my novel, Jesselton)

She got out of the shower. She then walked out to the dining room, a computer was placed on the desk against the wall, a young man was sitting by the computer, just playing some games.

“James, Once I put on my clothes I wanna use the computer.” She said.

“Why don’t you use your own laptop?” James replied.

“I left it at Ma’s house. I really need to go online.” She replied as she walked back into her room.

“Whatever.” James said.

She put on her pajamas on, she then dried her hair with the towel. Her phone then started ringing.

“Buck Sayang – Calling”

She looked at the phone and smiled. “Hello Sayang.” She said.

“Hi Sayang, what are you doing?” A voice said through the phone.

“Nothing la, I just finished showering. You?” She asked.

“I just got home from work. Do you wanna meet up later?”

“Of course I want, but you can’t sleep over tonight la, my brother is here la.”

“Nevermind la, we spend time in the car also can. Hehe!” He said

“So what la you wanna do in the car?” She asked cheekily.

“Nothing, just spend time only la.”

“I’ll call you later la kay? I need to use the computer.”

“Okay. Bye darling.”

“Bye Sayang.”

“Wait, I want you to kiss kiss first.” He said playfully.

“Muah Muah. Haha!” She said laughingly.

“Haha! Bye babe.” He said.
The call ended. She then walked out to the dining room once more. James was in the living room watching television. She then walked towards the computer and logged into the internet. She logged into msn messenger as well. Upon signing in msn messenger, and instant message arrived.

John Says:
Hey Abby! Why haven’t I seen you online lately?


She was shocked to see a message from John. She didn’t want to reply but she felt that she should as well. She then thought about what she did a few months back. She thought about the time whereby she was standing in front of 7-11 in the middle of the city.

“I’m already 32 and I’m still living like this.” A thin man said, he was in a cap and was wearing a shirt too big for his body, and also a pair of jeans that were a little too big for his body as well, he had the whole hip hop look going. He was fair, had a piercing below his lip and on his brow. He was sitting on the floor, right outside 7-11. Abby was looking down at him. “Can’t you see that I really care for you?” He said. He was holding back his tears.

“I know you do, but you’re leaving for manila soon enough, and what’s gonna happen to me?” She said. She was in her skinny leg jeans and a black top, she was also wearing platforms, her hair was let down. People walking by them were staring at them. “C’mon, get up. I’ll take you up to your apartment.” She said as she pulled him up.

“Abby, I love you.” He said as she was helping him get into the elevator.

“Don’t say that John. You’re drunk.” She replied.

She was then snapped out of her thoughts with the sound of another instant message.

John Says:
You there?

She placed her fingers on the keyboard, wondering if she should reply. She then started typing.

Abby Says:
Yea I am. How are you?

John Says:
I’m fine. It’s been such a long time since I last chat with you. I tried to call you but your phone was out of service or something.



Abby Says:
Oh, I lost my phone. So I changed my mobile number.

John Says:
Oh… I’m heading down to Jesselton next week. Let’s meet up.

John Says:
Hehe! J

Abby Says:
I’ve got something to tell you…

John Says:
What is it?

Abby Says:
I’m dating someone now.

John Says:
Oh… L

John Says:
Well, we still can meet up as friends, I’ll be staying at my friend’s place.

John Says:
Can I have your number?


Abby then hesitated. She wondered if she should give him her number. She wanted to see him. But she knew that she would be lying to Buck if she did. She then saw Valerie coming online.

Abby Says:
VALERIE!!!

Valerie Says:
Yes?

Abby Says:
Mosquito just messaged me!

Abby Says:
He’s coming to town next week and he wants to meet up!


Valerie Says:
Oh my god! So what are you gonna do?

Abby Says:
Should I give him my number?

Valerie Says:
Do you wanna see him?

Abby Says:
Kinda.

Valerie says:
Just give it to him la, maybe you need to see him to let things out of your system!

Abby Says:
Okay!


She then thought for a moment. And started typing.

Abby Says:
Here’s my number…

Abby Says:
+60168888838

John Says:
Thanks Bee! I’ll call you when I get to town!

Abby Says:
Haha!

John Says:
Hey, I gotta go now! We’ll catch up some other time k?

Abby Says:
Okay! See ya!

John Says:
Bye!


She felt as though she had just betrayed Buck. But she knew that she wanted to see John as well. She then got out of her seat, and walked into her room. She started packing her things as she was gonna go back to her mom’s place tomorrow. As she was looking through her jewelry box looking for a pair of earrings to use tomorrow, she stumbled upon a silver necklace, with a letter J on it. She then thought about how she got it.

“So Abby, are you okay?” Pete asked. They were walking in the airport. Valerie, Abby and Pete. The three of them were walking towards the boarding gate. Abby knew that John was going to leave, but the feeling hadn’t kicked in yet. She knew she was gonna cry. But at that moment she didn’t feel like it.

“Yea I’m fine.” She replied.

“I bet Fiona is gonna be there.” Valerie said.

“We never asked you to hook up with Ben, you should have dumped him ages ago.” Pete said bitchyly.

“I hate her.” Valerie said.

As they got nearer to the boarding gate, they could see a group of people standing by the gate. A few people with instruments were standing there while the others were just chatting among themselves. John was standing there and he smiled as he looked at Abby getting closer.

“Heyyy!” He said.

“Hi.” Abby replied, smiling at him. She gave him a hug, and the feeling of him leaving sunk in. She felt a shock which made it hard for her to breath. She couldn’t hold her tears much longer, it started to flow out of her eyes. Her body started trembling. John hugged her tightly.

“Don’t cry. No matter what happens, you will always be in my heart.” John whispered into her ears. Tears then started to roll down his eyes. Abby knew that her friends and the other people were staring at her. But she didn’t care. She didn’t want him to leave. She wanted him to stay with her. Her body continued to tremble.

“Flight number MH216 bound for Manila Philippines is ready for boarding.” A woman’s voice suddenly said.

People then started to line up, all preparing to board the plane. The group of people with instruments also started to line up. Abby didn’t want to let go of John and she hugged him tighter, he hugged her tightly as well.

“I love you Bee” He whispered into her ears.

“I love you to John.” She said. She slowly let him go. He walked towards the gate and gave his boarding pass to the stewardess whom was standing by the gate. Abby kept on crying, Pete went over to her and gave her a pat on her back. John then ran towards Abby once more, he gave her a necklace.

“I want you to have this.” He said as he placed the necklace into her hand. “If you ever get lonely you just hold this, and think of me.” He said. He kissed her on her lips and then made his way into the boarding gate. She didn’t utter a word.

Tears then rolled down Abby’s eyes. From that moment she knew that she had to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment